Dr Susan Shui-seng Chiu (招瑞生)
B.Sc. in Physiology(US), MD(US), Am Board Pediatrics(US), Am Board Pediatrics(Infectious Diseases), Fellow American Academy of Pediatrics, FHKAM(Paediatrics)
Clinical Associate Professor
Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, LKS Faculty of Medicine,
The University of Hong Kong
Chinese American Physician Society Scholarship (1985)
National Research Service Award (National Institute of Health, USA) (1992-1993)
David Imagawa Fellows Award (1994)
Hong Kong Society for Infectious Diseases Best Paper Award (1998)
Hospital Authority Outstanding Staff and Teams Award (2000)
Hospital Authority Silver Badge Award For Contribution to combating against SARS (2003)
Department of Paediatrics & Adolescent Medicine
Room 118, 1/F, New Clinical Building
102 Pokfulam Road, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong
Dr. Chiu’s research focuses on:
1. Influenza and influenza immunization
2. Other viruses
3. Epidemiology of bacterial respiratory infection
1. Influenza and influenza immunization
Dr. Chiu established the association of influenza A with febrile seizure in children. In collaboration with Prof Malik Peiris, she was the first to document the population-based pediatric influenza disease burden in the subtropics. Since then, she has continued to study and publish on influenza infection in children. Her work has also included 2 randomized controlled intradermal vaccination trials in children in an effort to explore dose-sparing regimens.
2. Other Viruses
She has published on different respiratory viruses infecting children.
3. In collaboration with Dr. PL Ho, she has studied and published on the epidemiology of bacterial pneumonia in Hong Kong children, with an emphasis on the study of Streptococcus pneumonia.
*denotes communicating authorship
- Chiu SS, Lo JYC, Chan K-H, Chan ELY, So L-Y, Wu P, Cowling BJ, Chen R, Peiris JSM. Population-based hospitalization burden of influenza A virus subtypes and antigenic drift variants in children in Hong Kong (2004-2011). PLoS ONE 2014; 9(4): e92914
- Chan KP, Wong CM, Chiu SS, Chan KH, Wang XL, Chan ELY, Peiris JSM, Yang L. A robust parameter estimation method for estimating disease burden of respiratory viruses. PLoS ONE 2014; 9 (3):e90126
- Wang X, Yang L, Chan KP, Chiu SS, Chan KH, Peiris JSM, Wong CM. Model selection in time series studies of influenza-associated mortality. PLoS One 2012; 7: e39423.
- Chiu SS, Chan KH, So LY, Chen R, Chan EL, Peiris JS. The population based socioeconomic burden of pediatric influenza-associated hospitalization in Hong Kong. Vaccine 2012 Feb 27; 30(10):1895-900. Epub 2012 Jan 2.
- Chiu SS, Chan K-H, Wong WHS, Chan ELY, Peiris JSM. Age-matched comparison of children hospitalized for 2009 pandemic H1N1 influenza with those hospitalized for seasonal H1N1 and H3N2. PLoS One 2011; 6 (7): e21837.
- Chiu SS, Chan K-H, Chen H et al. Virologically confirmed population-based burden of hospitalization caused by Influenza A and B in Children in Hong Kong. Clin Infect Dis 2009; 49: 1016-21.
- Chiu SS, Lau YL, Chan KH, Wong WHS, Peiris JSM. A population-based study defining influenza-related hospitalization in children in Hong Kong. N Eng J Med 2002; 347:2097-2103.
- Chiu SS, Tse CYC, Lau YL, Peiris M. Influenza A Infection Is an Important Cause of Febrile Seizures. Pediatrics2001;108(4):e63
- Chiu SS, Feng S, Chan KH et al. Hospital-based vaccine effectiveness against influenza B lineages, Hong Kong, 2009-14. Vaccine 2016 Apr 27;34(19):2164-9. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2016.03.032. Epub 2016 Mar 21.
- Cowling BJ, Kwan MY, Wong JS, Feng S, Leung CW, Chank EL, Chan KH, Ng TK, To WK, Peiris MJ, Chiu SS*. Interim estimates of effectiveness of influenza vaccination against influenza-associated hospitalization in children in Hong Kong 2015-16. Influenza Other Respir Viruses 2017 Jan;11(1):61-65. doi: 10.1111/irv.12399. Epub 2016 Oct 14.
- Cowling BJ, Chan K-H, Feng S, Chan ELY, Lo JYC, Peiris JSM, Chiu SS*. The effectiveness of influenza vaccination in preventing hospitalizations in children in Hong Kong, 2009-2013. Vaccine 2014 Sep 15;32(41):5278-84. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2014.07.084. Epub 2014 Aug 1.
- Klick BA, Durrani S, Chan KH, Ip DKM, Chou SK, Kwok HKH, Ng S, Chiu SS et al. Live attenuated seasonal and pandemic influenza vaccine in school-age children: A randomized controlled trial. Vaccine 2013; 15: 1937-43.
- Ng S, Ip DKM, Fang J, Chan KH, Chiu SS, Leung GM, Peiris JSM, Cowling BJ. The effect of age and recent influenza vaccination history on the immunogenicity and efficacy of 2009-10 seasonal trivalent inactivated influenza vaccination in children. PLoS ONE 2013; 8: e59077.
- Ng S, Fang J, Ip DKM, Chiu SS, Leung GM, Peiris JSM, Cowling BJ. Humoral antibody response after receipt of inactivated seasonal influenza vacinations one year apart in children. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2012; 31:964-9.
- Chiu SS, Chan K-H, Tu W, Lau YL, Peiris JSM. Immunogenicity and safety of intradermal versus intramuscular route of influenza immunization in infants less than 6 months of age: a randomized controlled trial. Vaccine 2009; 27: 4834-39.
- Chiu SS*, Peiris JSM, Chan KH, Wong WHS, Lau YL. Immunogenicity and safety of intradermal influenza immunization at a reduced dose in healthy children. Pediatrics 2007; 119: 1076-82.
Other Viral Infections
- Ho PL, Chiu SS, Law PY, Chan EL, Lai EL, Chow KH. Increase in the nasopharyngeal carriage of non-vaccine serogroup 15 Streptococcus pneumoniae after introduction of children pneumococcal conjugate vaccination in Hong Kong. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2015 Feb;81(2):145-8. doi: 10.1016/j.diagmicrobio.2014.11.006. Epub 2014 Nov 20.
- Chiu SS*, Ho P-L, Khong P-L, Ooi C, So LY, Wong WHS, Chan ELY. Population-based incidence of community-acquired pneumonia hospitalization in Hong Kong children younger than 5 years before universal conjugate pneumococcal immunization. J Micro Immun Infect 2016 Apr;49(2):225-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jmii.2014.05.007. Epub 2014 Jul 26.
- Ho PL, Chan MY, Chow K-H, Chiu SS. Streptococcus pneumonia serotype 19A bacteremia in a child fully immunized with 10-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine. J Micro Immun Infect 2014; 47: 164-165
- Chiu SS*, Ho P-L, Peiris Malik JS, Chan KH, Chan ELY. Population-based hospitalization incidence of respiratory viruses in community-acquired pneumonia in children younger than 5 years of age. Influenza and Other Resp Viruses 2014 DOI:10.111/irv.12277
- Chau CSK, Lee SL, Peiris JSM, Chan HK, Chan E, Wong WHS, Chiu SS*. Adenovirus respiratory infection in hospitalized children in Hong Kong:serotype-clinical syndrome association and risk factors for lower respiratory tract infection. Eur J Pediatr 2014; 173:291-310
- Chiu SS, Chan KH, Chen H, Young BW, Lim WH, Peiris JS. Virologically confirmed population-based burden of hospitalization caused by respiratory syncytial virus, adenovirus, and parainfluenza viruses in children in Hong Kong. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2010; 29: 1088-92.
- Cheuk DKL. Tang IVH, Chan KH, Woo PCY, Peiris JSM, Chiu SS*. A prospective study of rhinovirus infection in hospitalized children in Hong Kong. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2007; 26: 995-1000
- Chiu SS, Chan KH, Chu KW, Kwan SW, Guan Y, Poon LLM, Peiris JSM. Human coronavirus NL 63 infection and other coronavirus infections in children hospitalized with acute respiratory disease in Hong Kong, China. Clin Infect Dis 2005; 40:1721-9
- Peiris JSM, Tang WH, Chan KH, Khong PL, Guan Y, Lau YL, Chiu SS*. Children with respiratory disease associated with human metapneumovirus in Hong Kong. Emerg Infect Dis 2003; 9: 628-633.
- Chiu SS, Cheung CY et al. Early diagnosis of Primary Human Herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) Infections In Childhood: Serology, Polymerase Chain Reaction and Virus Load. J Infect Dis 1998;178:1250-6.
Bacterial Respiratory Infections
- Cheong K-N, Chiu SS, Chan BW-K, To KK-W, Chan EL-Y, Ho P-L. Severe macrolide-resistant Mycoplasma pneumonia associated with macrolide failure. J Microbiol Immuno Infect 2016 Feb;49(1):127-30. doi: 10.1016/j.jmii.2014.11.003. Epub 2014 Nov 11.
- Ho PL, Law PY, Chan BW, Wong CW, To KK, Chiu SS, Cheng VC, Yam WC. Emergence of Marcolide-resistant Mycoplasma pneumoniae in Hong Kong is linked to increasing Macrolide resistance in multilocus variable-number tandem repeat analysis Type 4-5-7-2. J Clin Microbiol 2015 Nov;53(11):3560-4. doi: 10.1128/JCM.01983-15. Epub 2015 Sep 2.
- Chan KW, To KKW, Chan BW, Li CP, Chiu SS, Yuen KY, Ho PL. Comparison of pyrosequencing, Sanger sequencing, and melting curve analysis for detection of low-frequency macrolide-resistant Mycoplasma pneumonia quasispecies in respiratory specimens. J Clin Microbiol 2013; 51:2592-8.
- Ho PL, Chiu SS, Chan MY, Gan Y, Chow KH, Lai EL, Lau YL. Molecular epidemiology and nasal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus and methicillin-resistant S. aureus among young children attending day care centers and kindergartens in Hong Kong. J Infect 2012 May;64(5):500-6. Epub 2012 Mar 7
- Ho PL, Chiu SS, Cheung CH, Lee R, Tsai TF, Lau YL. Invasive pneumococcal disease burden in Hong Kong children. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2006;25: 454-5.
- Chiu SS, Ho PL, Chow FKH, Yuen KY, Lau YL. Nasopharyngeal carriage of antimicrobial-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae among young children attending 79 kindergartens and day care centers in Hong Kong. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother2001;45(10):2765-70.
Full publication list
Dr. Chiu is the MBBS Curriculum Coordinator for the Department. She also serves in the Infection Control Committee of the Faculty.
Dr. Chiu provides care to children admitted to the General Ward in Queen Mary Hospital. She also runs the Pediatric Infectious Disease Clinic and the Pediatric HIV Clinic.